Episode 15 of the Pleasure Doing Business podcast, powered by Teed Saunders Doyle. Conversation with Owen Green, co-owner of Adams Green, an outsourced CFO firm in Saint John, NB. Owen is also co-owner of the Wheelhouse at Waterloo Village, a community centre for entrepreneurs, also in Saint John. Owen’s co-owner in both businesses is his wife, Haley Adams.
Owen is an accountant, entrepreneur, husband, father, and Tragically Hip lover with a passion for helping other entrepreneurs, the community, and the planet. Adams Green is the only accounting firm in Canada that is a certified B Corp.
TSD-SJ partner Andrew Logan joins in as guest host with Andy Clark to chat with Owen about music, beer, entrepreneurship, and social change.
Topics covered in this wide-ranging conversation:
- How an outsourced CFO can help your business succeed
- Why entrepreneurs generally aren’t very good at accounting
- What it’s like running multiple businesses with your spouse (Owen’s co-owner is his wife, Haley)
- The #1 most important thing you need when starting a business
- What is a B Corp and how can your business become one?
- What is the Wheelhouse and what former CBC personality used to live there?
- And lots more…
On the decision by Owen and Haley to certify Adams Green as a B Corp: “We wanted to work with certain types of people who were doing something good and we could feel good about helping them with…we’ve both experienced less than stellar work environments ourselves and we wanted to be good employers and pay people appropriately and not expect that people are going to work 80 hours a week. It just felt right and we wanted to let people know that’s how we felt.” — Owen Green
“There’s no such thing as too much Tragically Hip” — Andy Clark
Featured Craft Beer: Lizzie Borden Amber Ale (Big Axe Brewing Company, Nackawic, New Brunswick)